Mountaineering is a popular activity of adventure tourism in Kashmir. However before landing in Kashmir for climbing, you need to take permission from Indian Mountaineering Foundation.
If you are an adventure sports enthusiast and love exploring nature then Kashmir is the place for you. There are numerous mountainous peaks and ranges in Himalaya towering from 10,000 to 28,000 feet from above sea level and thus the valley offers huge opportunities of mountaineering in Kashmir. The major mountaineering zones can be divided into four areas:
- Kolahoi (known as the Matterhorn of Kashmir)
- Sunset (highest peak in the Pir Panjal range)
- A number of small peaks in Sonamarg and Pahalgam.
- The small Himalayan peaks are quite difficult to climb. Some popular peaks are: Sickle Moon, Eiger, Brammah-I, Brammah’s Wife, Crooked Finger, Flat Top, Ca-thedral, Barnaj-I, Barnaj-II, Arjuna, Agyasol, Shivling, etc
- The well known peaks of Zanskar Range are Nun-Kun, White Needle, Pinnacle, Z-1, Z-2, Z-3, Z-8, D-41, N-8, Bien Guapa, Bobang, etc.
- The peaks of Stok area come under Ladakh. The main peaks of this area: Stok Kangri, Parcha Kangri, Gulap Kangri, Kang Yissay, etc
The lofty peaks of Himalayas in Kashmir not only attract mountaineers from the country but also from abroad.
Some Useful Precautions
- Ensure your climbing gear and tools are in working condition.
- Your backpack should contain only the items you need while climbing. Leave everything at your camp. Even a small kerchief can weigh you down.
- Carry an extra water bottle, which should be over and above the prescribed quantity.
- Extra Sun cap as heat can destabilize you quickly.
- Unless you are into photography, do not carry any electronics.
Other Useful Tips
- If climbing alone, always have a person with whom you can talk to.
- Do not overestimate your skills and always choose a target safely.
- Arrange items in your backpack for adequate balance.
- It is always better to acclimatize for a few days, at every altitude. Oxygen levels get depleted at every climb and it could prove fatal neglecting this fact.
- If possible climbing should be done in teams. Team members often encourage and keep the energy levels high.